Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"Wednesday's Wedding" - Reed Wedding

Welcome to my first “Wednesday’s Wedding” blog post! Each Wednesday I hope to showcase a wedding that I have designed for all of you to enjoy! This week I am featuring a fantastic wedding that I designed recently for a beautiful couple and their 120 guests at the W Hotel in Union Square. The bride came to me ONE week before because her florist backed out last minute because they couldn’t do the design she wanted! How rude is that?! Talk about a time crunch, but their loss was my gain and it became my goal to help out this bride and make her dreams come true for her big day. I designed a very elegant, yet affordable design that included roses, calla lilies, purple grapes, seeded eucalyptus, rice flower, and dusty miller.

The bride’s bouquet was designed with white and pink roses, dusty miller, cymbidium orchids, and mini white calla lilies as well as crystallized stephanotis. The handle was then tied with a cream ribbon that received an overlay of lace from her mother’s wedding dress, which became her “something borrowed”! I love adding a personal touch to the bride’s bouquet because it gives the flowers an extra special meaning while the bride makes her way down the aisle. We even added another extra touch for good luck by creating a horseshoe design on the handle made from Swarovski Crystals to finish the look.


The Groom’s boutonnière is designed with mini white calla lilies, dusty miller, stephanotis, and a dendrobium orchid. The stem was tied with a coordinating cream ribbon accented with a single knot and crystals.
For the bridesmaid’s bouquets, I designed a simple, fresh, yet elegant look with white spray roses, mini calla lilies, dusty miller, and loops of bear grass. Bear grass is an unexpected element that I often like to use to add a bit of drama and texture to bouquets and arrangements.
I had such a wonderful time designing the personal flowers that the inspiration for the table arrangements came easy! She wanted elegant arrangements that evoked a feeling of a fresh, traditional feel. I used bronze urns and silver candelabras, which created a fun juxtaposition (something I like to do as a designer). I then tied the two together with flowers that were designed in a traditional manner. The low arrangements were designed in a bronze urn with white and pink roses, purple grapes, seeded eucalyptus, and dusty miller. To give the arrangement body I added two satellite arrangements that were designed with all pink flowers and accents of seeded eucalyptus.



Often designers feel the need to create "high" arrangements on top of candelabras - this is something that I feel is dated and not always warranted in all spaces. The W Union Square has a stunning ballroom that shouldn’t necessarily receive high arrangements - I personally feel it should be celebrated and shown off rather than try to bring height into that room. Therefore, I designed the high arrangements with the concentration of flowers on the bottom where the guests could enjoy them - I then added a garland of seeded eucalyptus and grapes to wrap its self down and around the candelabra into a bed of coordinating flowers of pink and white roses, calla lilies, seeded eucalyptus, dusty miller and grapes. Numerous votive candles were then added to all the tables to create a warm romantic glow.
In the end, the event was a success, the flowers turned out stunning and the couple couldn’t have been more pleased. I feel so fortunate to be able to do what I love all while making my client’s vision’s come true!

Until next time,
Cheers!


All photos above courtesy of Lindsay Flanagan Photography



No comments:

Post a Comment