Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Name Day

I love traveling and learning about different cultures when I am away.  Recently I had a chance to visit the Czech Republic, which was absolutely amazing, and I learned about their tradition of "Name Day".

In Prague's Old Town Square, there is a mechanical and astronomic clock that dates back to 1410.  Below this clock is a calendar and corresponding to each date is a specific name. 



In the Czech Republic it is a common practice to celebrate your "Name Day" with small gifts, almost as you would a birthday.  I love the idea that you get to not only celebrate your Birthday but also have the bonus of your Name Day.

To find out what your own Name Day is, go to the link below and find your name and the corresponding Name Day.


Of course, if you are like me, your name may not be exactly the same in the Czech language, for example, in Czech, "Shawn" would be interpreted as "Jan".  To make sure you find the correct day, I also found a site that will allow you to interpret your name, just click on the following link.


As I said earlier, I think it is fun to learn about different cultures and traditions.  Check out all of he links and have a happy "Name Day"!

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Dang it - my name day was last week! Now I have to wait another whole year!!!!

    ReplyDelete